Monday, December 29, 2008

The 1969 Cubs Project



In 1969 I lived just outside of Chicago, Illinois and like any good seven year old I adored the Chicago Cubs.

I watched them every day on our black and white TV between episodes of the Bozo Show and Ray Rayner. When they broke my heart, along with the hearts of the entire city I quickly drifted away from the Cubs, but never the 1969 Cubs.

As an adult I still held fond memories of that team and decided to undertake what could be an impossible effort...collect 8x10 signed photos of every single player on that team.

To make my goal harder I tried to set standards for the quest:

- It had to be a color 8x10 photo in a Chicago Cubs uniform

- It should be signed in blue sharpie (a preference, not a requirement)

- If possible, I wanted the photo from the spring training period. You can tell from many of the photos I collected what I'm talking about here.

- Every player should be represented. Whether they started or just played in two games at the end of the year.

That meant I needed 41 different signed 8x10 photos. The links on the right show the progress to date. Any leads or help in finding any of the missing items would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to leave any comments on your favorite players or 1969 Cubs autograph memories.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello:

My father is trying to complete this very task: color, autographed, 8 X 10 photos of the 1969 Chicago Cubs. Please let me know if you have any particular sources you'd recommend to further my search in adding to his collection. There are at least 6 names listed here that he does not yet have.

My e-mail is: Andrew.Robert.Goss@gmail.com

Thanks, very much, for your help!

- Andy